Thursday, March 11, 2010

Ride Report #4: Mendoza to Malargue

The ride from Mendoza to San Rafael is rather mellow, lots of wide open arid plains. But we made it and began to look for a moto contact. Frank is asking this fellow where we can find a gringo by the name of John who runs a farm and gives work to travelling moto riders. No success but provided for an interesting adventure around town.


Frank was exhausted and decided to stay in San Rafael, but seeing as how it was my first day on the bike headed south, I was ready to roll! I took off towards the moutains and came across this salt bed.

All was good at first...

And then I got sideways. A thin layer of water under the salt turns it to ice and by the looks of that massive arching skid I was sideways for a while. Good fun, but I left with a bent and slightly higher right pannier. But as my friend Alex would say, "It's only metal".

Luckly, just after my fall, this fantastic Argy couple, that I had just met, were making their way out onto the salt bed. They rolled up with grins and helped me lift it upright. We had a laugh and they had some fun on their more stable four wheels. We ended up meeting again in the next town, finding a hostel, and having dinner together, almost completely in spanish. Good people!


Ice.

My Argy pals traveling their country.


Los Andes.

No comments:

Post a Comment