Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Dakar Motos in BA, Argentina


As of now, I plan to pick up a bike in, or around, Florianopolis, Brazil soon after I arrive at the end of December 2009. Because of the high tariff on imports the ideal bike for the trip may be over budget. I was shocked to see bikes are being sold for more than double their US value. Therefore, I'll most likely be looking at something more like this 1988 Yamaha XT600 Tenere. This is a totally legit dual sport bike that raced in the Paris-Dakar race back in the day, but it will cost me $4600 USD! INSANE!

I found a shop in Buenos Aires called Dakar Motos that specializes in "overland travel" motorcycles. They provide fabrication, service, parts, lodging and many other necessary services for the adventure tourer. It seems that if I can find a good dual sport in Brazil that can get me to BA, then I will hand it over to Dakar Motos to make some important modifications for the trip through Argentina, including suspension work, tool cylinder, wind screen, saddle bag racks and any other maintenance issues that may need to be addressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment